Every year, we unleash hundreds of creepy monsters into the park after the sun goes down to scare the living daylights out of our guests during Halloween Haunt. This season, we’ve got all kinds of terrifying creatures including evil fairies and nasty gnomes. Besides their natural talent for scaring people, our monsters get a lot of help from our makeup artists in getting just the right horrifying look.
Here's a behind-the-scenes tour of the amazing creativity that goes into making all of the prosthetics that bring our monsters to life!
Our creative team spends weeks preparing for this month-long Halloween celebration. They arrange wardrobe for hundreds of monsters, in all sorts of themes, but also create (from scratch) the various prosthetic noses, masks, scars and other nasty monster facial features. Any monster designated to have a prosthetic receives four prosthetics for the duration of Haunt. Why? Well, Haunt is open for four weekends and this allows each prosthetic that is created to get a single showcase out of each weekend. Due to their delicacy, the prosthetics can’t be worn much more than that. Even though their lifespan is short, the process of creating them is much longer.
Below you can see the step-by-step process of how the prosthetics are created to enhance a monster’s face:
1. Design the prosthetic out of clay, which is typically done right on the face.
2. Make a mold of it with burlap and plaster. Once made, this mold can be used countless times to make dozens of the same prosthetic.
3. Whip up a latex mixture and pour it into the mold.
4. Firmly place the top piece of the mold and let stand for about 20 minutes until the latex sets.
5. Bake in a hot oven for six hours.
6. Let cool then release the mold.
7. Wash and let dry.
8. Adhere to the actor’s face and apply makeup to blend and bring it to life!
With our new scare zone Wicked Hollow and maze The Crypt making their debut this season, our creative team was excited to incorporate new designs and creativity into the artistic work that goes into Halloween Haunt. All of the fairies can be seen with sharp, protruding cheek bones and all gnomes have signature pointy-shaped ears. Every single monster in The Crypt maze wears prosthetics and make-up in full form.
So the next time you are encountered by one of our monsters, remember the long process it took them to become that terrifying- be courteous and give them a SCREAM!